The LiFePo4 packs that are showing up on the market these days are more than adequate for running the K3 and its KPA3 at 100W. Although the connections to the supply might be more easily done in the space occupied by the KPA3, the use case is much better for a K3+KPA3 with a LiFePO4 pack. Perhaps a bracket that is used in place of the KRX3 would be more useful, if perhaps more engineering work.

The 0.9A draw of the K3 in RX would deplete a 2.4AH LiFePO4 pack in a couple of hours of just RX, and the TX current draw of the QRP K3 doesn't require the power density of LiFePO4 either. So, a QRP K3 would do better with a more energy dense pack. But the KPA3 does need the high power density provided by LiFePO4 packs.

There's also the safety issue: Li+ and LiPoly packs are much less safe than LiFePO4, and I suspect that if they're widely used in ham gear, some day there will be a catastrophic rig accident. The LiFePO4 chemistry is much safer, especially with regard to over- and under-charging and physical damage.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Wayne N6KR wrote:
...OTOH, we could offer an internal Li-ion battery for the K3 that would be interchangeable with the KPA3 module. We could get about 7 AH in there, I bet. Built-in fast charger, charge monitoring at the front panel, separate fuse.... hmmmm.... nice for QRP picnic-table outings.

A fuel cell would be even more fun.

73,
Wayne
N6KR