Which bands?

The little operating I've done lately shows the higher frequency bands (10
MHz and up) pretty quiet in the evenings but 160/80/40 are hopping with the
activity shifting down in frequency as the evening progresses. The higher
frequency bands - at least up through 20 meters -are pretty busy during the
day.

If you're seriously wondering about the rig, the Elecraft XG2 is a great
little calibrated signal generator that will reassure you at least about
80/40/20 meters. An option is WWV. Out here on the western edge of the
continent I've not been able to hear WWV on 10 MHz at all in the evenings
lately. That's very rare. On 5 MHz Hawaii (lady's voice) booms in and Ft.
Collins (man's voice) is very weak most evenings. (Haven't checked 2.5 MHz
lately.)

That's pretty typical for the "bottom" of the sunspot cycle. The bands don't
die. The optimum frequencies just move down during this time.

Ron AC7AC