Yes, I've worked some 40 DX over those distances too. Often can't hear
California from Oregon on 40, but get a 599 from Oceania on what often
sounds like a "dead" band until the signal appears.

Of course, that's a function of being close to the MUF, which does drop down
to 7 MHz and even lower these days.

I suspect a lot of Hams are used to seeing the MUF stay above 21 MHz. They
simply aren't used to 40 or sometimes 80 meters acting like 20, 15 and 10
meters in more active sunspot periods.

Of course, RF absorption by the low-altitude solar-generated ions is more of
a nuisance on the lower frequencies until a bit after local sunset.

Ron AC7AC