Hi All,
I have more information on this.

I finished as NCS for the TX MARS net last night at 7:58 PM CT on about 3.2
MHz.   The Mic gain functioned as I described in the previous email below.
At 7:58 the Mic gain was set at 15 when I left the radio on to monitor the
Oklahoma net on the same frequency at 8:01 pm.  I was listening to the
excellent audio from across the room.  ;o)

At 8:30 pm I heard a station I needed to contact so I went back to the
radio.  With the controls untouched, I called to check into the net.  My
output showed on the K3 at about 35 Watts again.  When the NCS heard me I
started transmitting and about 20 seconds after, I was back at 100 Watts.

So now I am wondering if it has anything to do with temperature, or perhaps
software temperature compensation.  I do not have an external wattmeter
installed for comparison purposes.  I can try to do that, but it will take
me some time to calibrate my old meter to confirm its approximate accuracy.
Also I have not done the new auto power calibration in the new firmware yet
as I know my dummy load is off by about 10%.

Please any advice.

Once again I must stress that the K3 is still performing very well.  I was
not supposed to be NCS last nite, but since I once again had the best signal
in TX I was asked to take over the net (thanks to the K3).  K3 #2080 is
getting a nice reputation here in TX Army MARS.

Steve, AAR6CX, W2MY