Hi Everyone,

OK I seemed to have "removed" the problem.

I added 11 small resistors in parallel to my MFJ 949E dummy load to change
its resistance from about 56.5 Ohms to close to 50.0 Ohms.  I then ran the
"Calibrate Transmitter Gain" procedure from the configuration Menu of the K3
utility.  Now I can talk with 100 Watts and 6 bars of ALC all the time
regardless of the temperature of the radio.  No more fiddling with the Mic
gain.  Changing the Mic gain affects the power out and ALC reading now as
expected.

I think when I built my K3 I skipped the "TX Gain Calibration" step.  I may
have thought that it was optional like the Wattmeter calibration, but with
my dummy load being off I think I was afraid that I would do more harm then
good.

I can now see how some people have problems with the K3 by not following
instructions.  I am a bit amazed the radio worked as well as it did in spite
of the "loose nut in operator's chair" syndrome I was experiencing.

OK, now to have even more fun with the radio, now that is it perfect.

Steve, W2MY