I'm one who often uses full break-in. There's a lot of reasons to use
it but it requires certain aspirations depending on situation. For
instance, here are some pointed examples:

Say you're chasing DX, there are others chasing the same station at
the same time. Everybody calling needs to leave their call but the
only way you can tell who if anyone's call is being returned is to
hear it being returned to you. If you're calling, you can't hear what
is being returned. But if the DX is not returning a call then either
they haven't heard one call clearly, they are in the process of
entering a heard call in their log (and are about to transmit that
specific call) or you're calling from an area they do not wish to
cultivate and they heard you but you're not in their hunt.

So you persist in calling but need to listen to the DX stations
return call to whoever it is going to to know they have made a
decision as to who to call or that it's still in flux. If you do not
run full break-in then you become one of those QRMing people who call
on top of the DX station while they are transmitting. If you can't
hear the DX station through all the QRM then you shouldn't be calling
blindly hoping they will somehow hear your call and when the din
quiets down from the others realizing it's not their call being heard
and it is your call that you hear them calling.

The latter is possible but not probable. What is more probable is
they are calling someone else and you've been nothing involved but
QRM.

Assuming everyone ran full break-in and would listen for the DX
station in-between dits & dahs, then everybody would immediately stop
sending when the DX is transmitting and a whole lot more QSOs would
be made.

Another example is if you are in a 1:1 QSO and you have your RF gain
set so you hear nothing but your QSO partner, you don't hear all the
QRN in the background and lets say you converse at conversational
speed, if the other person misses something they can send a few dits
and you hear that and you know to stop your soliquy and let them
interrupt to ask whatever. Maybe they need to answer a phone or
spouse, whatever... it allows you to do as you would do on the phone
with someone and say in real time "Hold on a moment, I need to answer
a question or whatever.

If you're in semi or no break in mode, you can keep on sending an
opus that the other wishes you weren't sending but has no way to tell
you that.

FWIW, I love QSK that does not pop in-between characters!

Gary
KA1J