That is an interesting idea Keith. I've been reducing the gain by hand
whenever the band noise is objectionable while sending. Been doing that
since I was using a regenerative receiver back in the early 1950's.

But I also grabbed the gain control on the board at KVCR when I was spinning
platters (the real VINYL platters) when I wanted to talk over the music back
in the 50's too.

So I guess it's a good idea whose time has come, just like people on the
board don't need to play with the gain control any longer.

But I wonder just how automatic our world is becoming?

A popular theme in sci fi fiction back in the 50's was that the human race
would so completely automate things that the "computers" would see to our
physical needs and we'd become disembodied beings floating in an energy
field because we no longer needed bodies to manipulate anything ourselves -
until the computers decided they didn't need us any longer.

Guess I'm archaic. I still enjoy running on the beach, sketching a scene
with an old pencil and paper, wiggling my own CW key or turning my own gain
controls.

I'm definitely one of the ones who is now obsolete I guess... But happily
obsolete :-)

Ron AC7AC