Ron's 3rd hint is very important!  Keep some handy.  Put some on the
solderwick when trying to remove components or clear holes. If that little
spool of solder wick is more than a few months old the flux in it has dried
out and all you are doing is heating the board/lifting the pad. I don't know
how kosher it is but I keep a tin of rosin-flux paste and dip the tip of the
iron it and then re-dress the tip at the start of each evenings work. It
seems like these newer plated tips (that you find on the temp-controlled
models) don't hold their tinning and get a build up of invisable corrosion.
With the older copper tips it was quite obvious they needed re-tinning.

*** Don't use plumbing solder paste on your PCB.  ***

Rich,
KE0X