Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> Bill W4ZV wrote:
>>

>> I loved this comment:
>>
>> "THE ONLY ATTRIBUTE THAT YOU CAN COMMEND THE K3 ON IS ITS EXCELLENT
>> RECEIVER SPECIFICATIONS."
>>
>> Is there much else that really matters?
>>

> I can't believe that you would write that, Bill. I would have thought that
> transmitter specifications were equally important, and one of the points
> this reviewer made (and also being discussed in another thread here, right
> now) is that he received reports of splatter.
>
> Given that the qualities of the K3 receiver make this transceiver more
> likely than most to be driving a linear to the full legal limit in a
> contest or big gun DX station, I would have thought that transmitter
> specifications of comparable excellence to the receiver were also
> essential.

First of all I don't operate much SSB (my mike isn't even connected now).
Although I hold all 3 USA 10m records on SSB (CQ WW, ARRL DX, CQ WPX), I
don't plan to be on SSB much until Cycle 24 allows 10m again and am quite
sure by that time Elecraft will have addressed any TX issues on SSB (if they
have not already done so).  Actually I believe they have.  This character
seems to have gleaned every possible negative from past postings and not
recognized that Elecraft has already addressed many of the issues.  His
comment about VRF shows his ignorance.  The K3 doesn't need the crutch of
another expensive pre-selector because its basic front end is excellent.

The other issue I find quite curious is this newfound interest in TX
characteristics.  Where has everyone been the past ~18 years?  The FT-1000
family (D, MP, Mark V) has been a factory CW click generator for years and
yet people have still flocked to buy more.  The Icom 765 and 756 family are
nothing to rave about either.

W8JI's measurements of TX IMD were not bad, so his units may have been
bought after the Elecraft firmware fixes.  From Tom's eHam review:

"I measured around -35 to -38 dB SSB transmitter IM3, better than my other
radios. The transmitter is flawlessly clean on CW also."  (Aug. 25, 2008)

Who do I tend to believe?  W8JI or QRPNEW?  I'll let you decide.

73,  Bill