I had a similar problem with my XG-2 right after assembly, on one of its
three frequencies.  Measuring voltages etc. did not give a clue, so I
finally took a crystal from my junk box and connected its terminals in
parallel with the crystal on the board (simply making the Xtal leads touch
the points on the back side of the board).  This started full scale
oscillation, so I determined the XG-2 crystal in question simply was bad.
May have been bad all along or become defective during my assembly.

Elecraft sent me a replacement crystal - which I actually haven't put in
yet, but this appeared to be the problem.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX