Regrettably (hi), the emitter resistor is fine - very close to
nominal.  wish I had a crystal to substitute, but I don't, so maybe I need
to get one from Elecraft - or just hang up the whole thing and get an XG-2.

Thanks for thinking about this, Don.  I hope people don't mind my
continuing this on the list - I thought the archive might be useful to
someone facing the same problem later on.

73, Pete N4ZR