W0JFR wrote:

> I think the RS232 data rate is set incorrectly in ACL - it should be 38.4.
> The default ACL Elecraft rate (4.8) is based on the K2, whereas the
> default data rate in the K3 is 38.4 (which you could set to 4.8). Anyway
> both the K3 and ACL have to use the same setting. You can also change the
> Stop Bits to 1, but I think it will work with either 1 or 2 set.

I've had problems using 2 stop bits with a USB adapter, so I'd advise using
1. I was told that the default baud rate of the K3 is 4800 - I can't confirm
or deny that, since changing it was one of the first things I did.

But you are quite right that the software and K3 have to use the same
setting. All the problems people have had with KComm were due to this.
People think you can just set the baud rate in the software and the rig will
follow, but it won't. You have to check the CONFIG: RS232 menu setting
yourself and make sure the software is using the same value. And if you've
tried connecting at the wrong speed you need to turn the K3 off and on
again, because sometimes it goes into a sulk and won't communicate at all
after you have done this.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
http://www.g4ilo.com/ G4ILO's Shack   http://www.ham-directory.com/ Ham