Having used three different K3's equipped with 4 different sets of 250 & 400 hz
8 poles in overload city major contests, the usefulness of these filters is
belied by the apparent closeness of numbers.

In practice we have found that associating the 400 with a DSP width of 450, and
the "250" with a DSP width of 350 has been extremely useful, however "too close
by the numbers" that may look on paper.

We use 450 for running for as long as it may last, and when the inevitable 30
over 9 crowder squeezes down on us, I reduce to 350 and if that isn't enough,
*ADDITIONALLY* shift the center away 50 hz more. This combination plus the
noise blanker for key clicks has worked extremely well. (Having 50 Hz
granularity on the CW shift/widths would be *SO* useful here...)

I have measured the combined (roofing+DSP) drop on the steepest part of the
skirts at ~12 db per 10 Hz with these two 8 pole filters. So bringing in the
skirt "only" 30 or 40 Hz is enough to push down the crowder quite a bit,
usually well out of hardware AGC, without narrowing the listening window to the
point of missing QSO points and multipliers from all the inevitable
off-frequency callers.

Anyone who asks us what filters to buy for CW contesting, we tell them 400/250
8 pole set to 450/350.  Tried and true, not theory.

W4TV and I will just have to agree to disagree.

73, Guy.