Such small loops have worked very well. However, they are becoming more and
more difficult to use indoors than ever before. Some of the most difficult
QRN/QRM sources are right in our homes and their number increases every
year. (I'm typing this message on one of the most prolific QRN sources
today, but your refrigerator, washing machine, furnace and even many lights
are just a few examples of others we have in our homes.)

While a loop can be oriented so as to put a source of interference in a null
(assuming the desired signal is not in the same direction), all too often
our homes have multiple sources of QRN or the QRN is being propagated along
the house wiring so it is, indeed, coming from all directions at once if the
antenna is inside or near the house.

Before investing a significant amount of money in any indoor antenna, it
might be worthwhile to string up a simple loop on, say, a wall, using a few
push-pins. For a smaller test antenna, wrap a number of turns of hook up
wire around a large cardboard square or circle. You can tape it in place
near the periphery of a disk cut from a box. Hook one lead to the center pin
of the antenna connector and the other to the chassis. It's not necessary to
resonate the loop, but you can if you have a variable cap about. Put it
across in series with the loop and adjust the turns to get a peak across the
most interesting frequencies. Resonance provides some gain but gain is not
an issue with a decent receiver. You can hear all that you'll ever hear as
long as the QRN level rises when you connect the antenna to the rig.

Compare that to even a modest outdoor antenna and see if you like the
results. If not, you'll not likely be happy with the performance of a more
expensive indoor antenna. And if you do like the results from the indoor
antenna, you may find no significant advantage to using the expensive one,
Hi!

So why would anyone buy such a loop? Lots of reasons - here's a few:

1) They cannot put up any sort of outdoor antenna. A poor antenna is always
superior to no antenna at all.

2) They live in a frame or other non-metallic building with few or no
electrical devices inside.

3) They *must* have a tiny, compact antenna to fit in their space or provide
the portability required.

4) It looks "right".  (Don't laugh. A lot of expensive stuff is purchased
because it "looks right" regardless of performance - or lack thereof:
everything from homes, cars, boats and aircraft to Ham rigs.)

Ron AC7AC