After a bit of experimenting, I am finding I prefer a way of operating split
that doesn't require the SPLIT button at all. This is to transmit on VFO A
and listen to the DX station on the subreceiver.

You find the DX using VFO A, hit A>B, hit SUB and look for the pileup with
VFO A. You never have to press SPLIT or turn the VFO B knob, and you never
have to stop to think which frequency you will be transmitting on - it's
always the frequency in the VFO A display regardless of whether you are
operating split or not.

Assuming you are quick enough to realize that the DX is operating split in
the first place, about the only other mistake you can make is to forget to
hit SUB, which becomes obvious very quickly.

If you are using a panadapter like LP-PAN with PowerSDR, you can click on
the pileup in the panadapter display to tune VFO A directly to the pileup.
The focus of the panadapter is always on the pileup, not on the DX station
as it would be when using SPLIT.

You can even use text decode or the auxiliary display in the VFO B window -
all it costs you is the display of the DX station's frequency; you never
lose sight of your transmit frequency.

This all seems too easy - what am I missing?

73,
Rich VE3KI
K3 #1595