N8LP wrote:
>...Unless you live near a shortwave broadcast station, or
> have a high power ham nearby on the same band, you're not likely to
> need 130dB BDR anyway. Even in those cases, having 200dB BDR
> probably wouldn't help unless there is a LOT of improvement in
> transmitter spurious emissions, distortion and phase noise.

This point is brought home all the time here in Albuquerque, where we have to
deal with the radiation from ten or more TV/FM analog transmitters
line-of-sight on top of Sandia Crest. While all these transmitters except
Channel 2 have fundamentals well above 54 MHz (I run a DCI bandpass filter to
keep it out of my preamp), the accumulated grunge from the transmitters'
perfectly legal low-level spurious emissions and passive mixes are enough to
render 6 meters unusable for weak-signal work in the direction of the
mountaintop. Since the spurious gunk is actually radiated on hundreds of
different frequencies within the 6-meter band -- not to mention the broad-band
noise coming from the same mountaintop -- there is little filtering can do
about it. Hopefully this will be alleviated to some degree when the last of
the analog TV transmitters finally relocate to UHF digital come June (yes,
they all elected to stay on the air past February 17th), but at least until
then, there is little I can do about it except deploy longer and sharper yagis
to minimize the unusable arc of the "dead zone". Ergo, BDR isn't everything.
It is still unfortunately necessary to take into account who your RF neighbors
are. They may be operating perfectly legally on frequencies well outside your
own area of interest, and still pollute the band with spurious RF that the FCC
says is within acceptable limits for their class of operation.

Bill W5WVO