OK gang, I don't know what to do at this point and you're my last line of
defense before sending this rig back to Elecraft engineering for analysis.

I'll sum it up briefly:

This is rig #2730.  I bought it in kit form, and assembled it myself.

It has a sub receiver, 100w amp, KDVR3, KAT3 tuner, transverter, plus a full
complement of filters on both receivers.

I also have a single general coverage receive module installed on the sub
receiver.

This is the problem:

I've noticed that when I'm tuning around 4.8 MHz to 5.3 MHz, I can hear EMI
in the form of a motorboat sound whenever I turn a front panel knob.  It's
most apparent when spinning VFO A or VFO B knobs, but also occurs when
turning the filter knobs.  If I don't touch anything, no noise occurs.  I
can also hear this noise faintly when I'm around 3 MHz.  There is no
front-panel generated noise anywhere else from .5 to 54 MHz other than 3 and
5 MHz.  Also, if I don't have the sub receiver on and I'm only listening to
the main receiver, the EMI noise isn't as loud when the pre-amp is on.  If I
turn the pre-amp off, the EMI generated from spinning knobs increases in
volume.  When I spin a knob and hear this noise, I can also see the S-meter
move in correlation with the noise; spiking at S-7 from time to time.  This
tells me that this is locally generated interference, and occurs somewhere
within the K3's circuitry.  Turning the pre-amp on or off has no effect on
the sub-receiver; the noise is still present.

Here's what I've done:

I've replaced the SUBIN board because I thought it was only the sub-receiver
being affected at one time, but it didn't help. I've also swapped mixers and
synthesizers with no positive result. I've disassembled and reassembled the
entire front panel 4 times already, and cannot find anything wrong.  I've
traced circuits on the sub receiver and SUBIN boards and everything checks
out.  I've also swapped TMP cables around with no improvement. I've also
removed just about every module except the transverter and KAT3 hoping to
eliminate a problem module, but the problem still remains.  I've also
checked every screw and washer throughout the radio, and they all match the
assembly instructions.

I'm starting to think that there may be an isolation problem with the main
RF board at this point.  BUT, since I was not able to test the rig without
the KAT3 tuner or removing the transverter board, I cannot be 100% sure.

Is there anything else I can check before sending the rig back to
Elecraft???

Apart from this problem, I have not experienced any other issues with this
radio.  In fact, it works PERFECTLY well.. I should probably tell myself to
live with this noise, but after spending 4k, I don't want too.

Suggestions people?  Please help a fellow ham out.

73,

James KC2UEE