Peter,

The 1.4 volts at W2 is good, but you should have more signal out of the
crystal filter (at W3).
Are you certain you peaked the signal in the filter by tuning the VFO?
The tuning will be very sharp.
Re-flow the solder on the crystals, the varactors, RP4 and RP5.

Obtain the proper signal out of the filter before drawing any
conclusions about the IF amp or any stages that follow.

73,
Don W3FPR