On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 08:46:28 -0700, David Gilbert wrote:

>It's pretty sad
>when S9+20 signals are so distorted that they almost cannot be copied.
>I swear some people must simply crank up the mic gain and compression
>until the output power stops increasing.

I suspect that some of the worst offenders were running line level into
a mic input and clipping it before the level control. Or perhaps
overdriving the sound card when they record.

>I'm totally not an audiophile
>when it comes to contest intelligibility, but I'm always surprised at
>how many of the big stateside contest stations have really crummy
>signals.  The South American contest stations seemed to be the worst by
>far, although there were some extremely clean signals from many of the
>single ops down there.

Yes. There were far too many South Americans and JAs with audio so
distorted I had to listen for nearly a minute to get their call, even
though their signals were loud and in the clear. I made several posts to
the cluster about badly distorted audio. Several big signals from KH6
were generating lots of splatter.

>And YN2NB (operated by N1SNB), who according to radio-sport.net seems
>poised to win World Single-Op High Power, had a terrific sounding
signal.

Yes, he did sound great!  So did W3LPL and K3LR -- not "pretty," but
quite punchy and intelligible.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC