Sometimes the "voice" is OK but when they put on their voice keyers they
are overmodulating and splatter like hell!

Tom
GM4FDM

Jim Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 08:46:28 -0700, David Gilbert wrote:
>

>> It's pretty sad
>> when S9+20 signals are so distorted that they almost cannot be copied.
>> I swear some people must simply crank up the mic gain and compression
>> until the output power stops increasing.
>>

> I suspect that some of the worst offenders were running line level into
> a mic input and clipping it before the level control. Or perhaps
> overdriving the sound card when they record.
>

>> I'm totally not an audiophile
>> when it comes to contest intelligibility, but I'm always surprised at
>> how many of the big stateside contest stations have really crummy
>> signals.  The South American contest stations seemed to be the worst by
>> far, although there were some extremely clean signals from many of the
>> single ops down there.
>>

> Yes. There were far too many South Americans and JAs with audio so
> distorted I had to listen for nearly a minute to get their call, even
> though their signals were loud and in the clear. I made several posts to
> the cluster about badly distorted audio. Several big signals from KH6
> were generating lots of splatter.
>

>> And YN2NB (operated by N1SNB), who according to radio-sport.net seems
>> poised to win World Single-Op High Power, had a terrific sounding
>>
> signal.
>
> Yes, he did sound great!  So did W3LPL and K3LR -- not "pretty," but
> quite punchy and intelligible.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 090308-0, 08/03/2009
> Tested on: 09/03/2009 16:53:56

So I met the bloke who invented crosswords today. I can't remember his
name, it's P something T something R.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090308-0, 08/03/2009
Tested on: 09/03/2009 19:19:17