Steve,

I suspect you had one or two EEPROM locations that were not set
correctly after the upgrade. There may have been an incompatibility
between 2.78 and 3.03 that I didn't catch.

If this happens to anyone else when they go to 3.03, I'll dig into it
further.

BTW, the suggested value for AGC HLD is 0.30 (seconds), not 0.03. But
feel free to experiment.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Mar 17, 2009, at 6:00 PM, list1 wrote:

> Hi Wayne and all,
> Just before our MARS net tonight I installed Beta 3.03.
> When the net started I had a lot of distortion on all the signals
> regardless
> of signal strength.  It sounded like the static went up as stations
> spoke.
> I did not know what was changed so I reloaded FW 2.78 complete (during
> the
> net!).  I then got back the good signal quality I was used to.  I then
> copied down the agc settings which I believe are stock.
>
> I then reloaded beta 3.03 (during the net!),  The distortion was back.
>  All
> the AGC settings were the same except for the new AGC variable "AGC
> DCY" was
> set to "nor".  I changed this to "soft" and got most of the nice voice
> quality back (not all - still some distortion).  I then changed AGC
> HLD to
> .03 like you suggest.  I wll keep these settings for now.
>
> 73,
> Steve Pituch, W2MY, AAR6CX

---

http://www.elecraft.com