Ha, ha! There are "MFJ Bashers" just like there are those who must complain
about just about every company. As my Grandmother used to say of such
people, "He'd complain if they hung him with a new rope."

To your point, yes the MFJ "Artificial Ground" works FB. One the MFJ tuners
I have around is the MFJ-934 which has the AG built in and I've used it
quite successfully with a variety of antennas.

If you have Moxon's "HF Antennas for All Locations" he discusses such
grounding schemes in detail, but it seems to be something ignored in many
texts. What you are doing is arranging a 1/4 wave wire connected to your
rig. At 1/4 wave, it presents a rather low impedance to the rig, which keeps
it at a low RF voltage. The AG is nothing more than a simple single-wire
"tuner" to establish that condition with almost any wire across the HF
spectrum. The tuner circuit is a tapped coil in series with a variable
capacitor that can be adjusted to compensate for a wide range of reactance
values present at the end of your "ground" wire attached to the tuner. Since
you are working for the lowest impedance at that point, it includes an RF
ammeter in series with the circuit. You adjust the coil and cap for maximum
reading on the ammeter. At any given power, maximum current equals lowest
impedance equals lowest voltage.

As Moxon points out, you can do the same thing with any length of wire that
is < 1/4 wave and a simple loading coil at the rig, just as you might do
with a short antenna. (The variable capacitor in the AG covers situations
where the "ground" wire is longer than 1/4 wavelength). A small flashlight
bulb in series with the wire will indicated the proper amount of inductance.
Adjust the power for some indication and set the coil for maximum
brilliance. You can remove the bulb when you find the right setting so it
won't burn out at higher powers.

It's not a panacea. There are some situations where it doesn't cure the
problem.

As others took pains to point out in the other recent thread, there is no
"perfect" (zero ohm) ground. As frequency increases, dealing with reactance
becomes more of an issue and, at RF, we have significant conductor
resistance as skin effect enters into the equation. But that doesn't mean
the effort is useless or ineffective.

You raise an interesting issue though, saying you're using a vertical with
radials on the ground. Those antennas aren't typically RF feedback prone
antennas.

What are the "feedback" symptoms.

Does the feeder show a low SWR at the Antenna?

Is the shield of the coax properly connected to the radials with a good, low
resistance connection?

Ron AC7AC