Well, Dave: Let me take it point by point:

1)  I am an MFG customer and while I might choose to design my stuff a
little differently, I'm not trying to compete in the marketplace with
others. I've not found my MFG equipment to be defective or needing "repair"
out of the box. Indeed, their tuners are quite  efficient and effective when
used as recommended.

2) What do you mean by "out of the shack"? I assume it means that RF doesn't
impair the operation of the rig or other equipment. Putting a low-impedance
"ground" (in quotes with respect to the others who claim there is no such
thing) at the rig does that. The "Artificial Ground" sold by MFJ does just
that. I've used it and I know from experience.

3) You are quite right as Don also noted. A coaxial line laying on the
ground running away from the antenna will intercept RF and have current
flowing on the outside of the coax shield that is quite independent of the
current flowing to the antenna on the inside of the shield.  In that case,
the objective is to stop those currents on the outside of the shield where
the coax enters the shack as Don suggested. A coil of coax is a one way,
although  it's important to make it a coil, not a jumble-wound bunch of
coax. In a bunch of coax wound up, it's possible for capacitive coupling
between the coax at one end to the coax at the other end to eliminate most
of the benefit of the inductance of the coil.

Ron AC7AC

----------------------------------

Sorry, but I believe your posting to be full of bad advice.

1.  Most bad reviews for companies that cater to hams are due to bad
customer service.  MFJ is one of the few that consistently gets bad marks
for quality of construction and durability of use.  If you don't believe
that, you simply haven't been paying attention.

2.  An "artificial ground" doesn't keep RF out of the shack ... it just
tunes a low impedance path to something, which may or not be a ground of any
sort.  In any case, the chances of finding a functioning "RF ground" in an
otherwise insulated basement room are not great.

3.  Vertical antennas are notorious for putting RF on the coax shield when
the coax is lying right alongside the radials.  Why would you expect such an
arrangement NOT to couple RF to the coax, and therefore right into the
shack?  Check around and you'll find all sorts of instances where people had
such problems with a vertical antenna and used a current choke to fix it ...
there are writeups everywhere on it.  I agree with K9YC that a coil of coax
will normally do the job just fine, although I'm not sure that the base of
the antenna is always the best place to put it.  If the coax is lying next
to the radials it seems to me that there could still be a lot of coupling to
the coax on the run to the shack.  I'd be more inclined to put the choke
closer to the house, but I'll defer judgment on that to the experts.

Dave   AB7E