Good catch, Gary. AGC settings are the missing piece and probably why
some people aren't seeing this.  With an S9 signal, NR=F4-4, BW=2.00,
I get the following results for different settings of AGC THR and AGC
SLP when NR is engaged:

THR=2, SLP= 0 +10.0 dB
THR=2, SLP= 5 + 2.7 dB
THR=2, SLP=10 - 6.0 dB