Joe,

I tried your suggested settings, and yes I found an increase in audio
volume.  I also observed that the NR worked as a squelch at that
aggressive setting.   I normally use F1-3 or F1-4 for NR and have no
problem.

I don't use NR when attempting to copy a weak signal.  When the weak
signal is down in the noise level, the NR algorithm cannot distinguish
between the noise and the signal with certainty.  My ears do a better
job despite the noise, so I turn NR off when digging for the weak ones.

73,
Don W3FPR