It's important to note that the spectrum of the noise each of us hears is
*not* the spectrum presented by the source.

Everything we hear is filtered by our ears. In the past youngster's ears
were considered rather 'flat' from perhaps 20 Hz up to above 16 kHz.

That changes as we get older and experience loud noises. Typically we
develop holes in our hearing where we cannot hear anything at specific
frequencies. Also, our overall frequency response is damaged. The nerve
attachments in our ears for the higher frequencies seem to be the most
delicate and are the first damaged by repeatedly hearing loud sounds. Even
so, the overdone thudding base of many sound systems can destroy sensitivity
in the low registers too.

That's why people today, even young people in their teens, typically have
hearing no better than those of a octogenarian of half a century ago. A
desire for loud music has created what experts in the USA call a generation
of functionally deaf people.

My hearing is full of holes punctuated by chronic "ringing" (tinnitus) and
my upper register is gone, thanks to long-term exposure to firearms and
explosives in the Army. As a result, I like a lot of high frequency emphasis
because it provides the most natural sounding audio after it passes through
*my* banged-up ears.

It's no wonder there are as many opinions about the "sound" of a rig as
there are people listening...

Ron AC7AC