Thanks for the update.  This will remain on my wish list.
Until then, looks like it might be time to upgrade to the K3 as it seems to
 have all that I want!
Thanks for all your hard work that brings us  joy!

Mike  AC6JA

In a message dated 5/3/2009 3:39:06 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
n...@elecraft.com writes:

Mike-WE0H wrote:

> You got my vote on open source or finding  someone to work on updates
> on occasion...

Mike (et  al),

The K2's present MCU is maxxed (no code space left). That's the  main
reason there's been no further development on it. But it's also a  very
mature product. Requests for changes or additions are very rare. And
just to complicate things, there's no way to upgrade K2 firmware over
the serial port, as on the K3. K2 firmware updates at present involve
swapping in a new chip.

There is, however, a newer PIC available  that I believe is
pin-compatible with the K2's that would double the code  space and allow
for a "boot loader" (to make it electronically  upgradeable). I'm
looking forward to building the code for this part and  trying it out
sometime.

Regarding open sourcing the K2 code: It  would take far more of my time
to prepare for this than to just make any  needed changes myself. To
pack everything the K2 does into a small amount  of code space required
that much of it be written in assembler, which is  inherently more
abstruse than C (etc.). It also required the creation of a  proprietary,
heavily optimized real-time OS. There are a dozen or so state  machines
and a unique interrupt structure where every cycle is carefully
counted.

Even though the code is well-documented, I'd want to  create
theory-of-ops and maintenance documentation before I tried to hand  it
off to another programmer. This is often necessary for projects where
you don't have the luxury of writing everything in an encapsulated,
object-oriented language, such as on a PC with virtually unlimited code
space.

Meanwhile, I save all of the suggestions I receive (or see  posted)
regarding future K2  functionality.

73,
Wayne
N6KR