Why are we throwing stones?  The K-3 is different than other transceivers that
we have used.  In the heat of a contest or chasing DX one does not always
immediately make sense of what is happening.  Sharing some observations about
characteristics of Elecraft products along with ways of dealing with a
peculiarity is one of the great benefits of this forum.  It took several
episodes and a post from a fellow K-3 owner for the light to dawn on me.  I
never saw this problem with my BC-455, my S-53, my Hammarlund Super-Pro.
Turning off the preamp and kicking on the attenuator work very well, but one
has to think about it.  Now that we have thoroughly discussed the subject we
will probably all remember to do it.  Unfortunately many of us will be
reluctant to admit to having confusion and offer our experience and solution
for fear of someone calling us stupid.  I will not have that problem because I
really don't care if someone calls me stupid.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ