On Mon, 4 May 2009 21:10:46 +0000 (UTC), k...@comcast.net wrote:

>Now, let's hope I managed to get this right.  :-)

Nothing wrong with your math. The likely error is in assuming that
ANY S-meter is accurate at the extremes of its range. All the S-
meters I've seen compress both at the top and bottom of their range.
As others have noted, the protection diodes will conduct to limit
the input that the receiver sees to about a volt, even though those
diodes may be seeing more. When those diodes conduct they will
produce some distortion. That's the nature of diodes.

Note also that the circuits driving the S-meter in the K3 can be set
to correct for the gain added by the preamp and subtracted by the
attenuator, or not. And, of course, you've got to calibrate the S-
meter with a voltage source of known accuracy.

73,

Jim K9YC