David Pratt wrote:

So why bother with sending reports in contests if they are meaningless,
Dave?

Yes. What ended interest in contesting for me was the demise of the signal
report (Actual "here's how I hear you" signal report that is...) Sure, many
signal reports are bogus, contest or not, but garnering dozens of reports
during a contest gave one a good idea of how their installation was working
and in what directions in spite of the sometimes sloppy, unrealistic
reports.

But too many people now think that hammering away on a computer for long
hours is actually a "sport" and signal reports are of no interest. That's
their choice. There seem to be many of them. I noticed in the contest
calendar posted here on the reflector for June that there's a contest for
almost *every day* of the month although most of them are piled on top of
each other on the weekends.

Even so, there are many, many of us Hams for whom nothing could be more
boring than long hours of brief, preprogrammed exchanges.

On weekends like this you can always join us on 30, 17 and 12 meters. Like
40 and 20 meters, 30 and 17 meters are often open even during the sunspot
minimum and 12 can provide all the excitement of 10 when cdx are good.

You'll find some interesting Hams, both local and DX, with real things to
say sending on *real* keys - often hand pumps and bugs - and you can
probably get a good signal report as well!

73,

Ron AC7AC