Ah, yes, the days of the surplus tank radios!

Doug

W6JD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iain MacDonnell - N6ML" <a...@dseven.org>
To: "David Pratt" <da...@g4dmp.fsnet.co.uk>
Cc: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, May 31, 2009 3:11:40 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3]  Sending sequential serial numbers with the K3

David Pratt wrote:
> So why bother with sending reports in contests if they are meaningless,
> Dave?

It serves as a marker in the exchange - when you hear that "..... -. -."
or "fi-ni", you know that what's coming next is the stuff you need to
copy and log.

Also, isn't an exchange of signal reports traditionally considered a
qualifier of a valid contact? Why do DXpeditions do it? Everyone's 59[9]
then too...

> I remember as a new young licensee in the 1950s we used to work
> in contests to get reports to see how well we were getting out. One of
> the contest rules of the day was that any station consistently getting
> tone reports less that 9 could be disqualified.  Those were the good old
> days.  Since then the world has gone mad.

I'm too young to remember the sane world :)

     ~Iain / N6ML