I think the logger EQ macros are probably most useful where a station is
switching modes often and needs to tailor the response appropriately.
Logger32 has up to 36 macros available so there is plenty of room for
them in there. N1MM appears to have less space and as you rightly point
out, disrupting the more useful N1MM macros is undesirable. In a serious
contest situation the EQ would be set up before the start to avoid this
problem.
Running an independent macro program through the COM port can be
problematical if the logger is also using that port; K3_EZ or the
Elecraft Utility cannot be used with a logger through LP-Bridge or there
would be no problem.
Yes, I can unload the logger, load up a macro program, run the macro,
reload the Logger, get my spots back in place and find where I was but
it is not elegant :-)

73 Pete