Anthony wrote:

>I am building my K1, and have completed the first section of the
>build, and am at the DC Voltage check  stage on page 30 of the
>manual...
>
>If anyone has some ideas for me to try to track down my problem I'd
>appreciate it.

    AND

Rick wrote:

>Interesting.  I'm at the same stage and had the same results.  I had
>to leave it...

This is THE most common and well-known "problem" that comes up for K1
builders.

The problem is due to the fact that you have not applied the ERRATA F-8
that comes with K1 manual, rev. F of 01-24-2002:

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K1_Errata_Rev_F-8.pdf

You MUST install a jumper at the location of RFC8 before voltage will be
available as shown in the voltage checks on page 30.   Unfortunately,
the manual DOES NOT tell you to install the jumper until PAGE 31!!!  So
obviously the checks on page 30 will fail.

The errata sheet, item 3, points this out.

I find it odd that the K1, which is a "mature" product with essentially no
further circuit revisions likely, is still using a seven and one-half year old
manual with this and other defects.

The errata sheet is also not complete.  It does not address the errors
on the last page quick reference guide.  (The NB menu items are OFF,
HI and LO and not OFF, NB1, NB2.)

The K1 is my favorite QRP rig of all time.  I love it!  It is frustrating to see
errors in the manual so frequently cause builders this type of problem.
A kit maker should assume that any published errata sheets will be ignored
and correct the manuals in a timely manner.  I believe that after more
than seven years it has come time for revision G of the K1 manual to
appear.

I also believe it would be appropriate to have those few components
that must be installed to use the 80m board (RF board C78, RFC8)
included as standard parts of the basic K1 kit.

Mike / KK5F