> This is THE most common and well-known "problem" that comes up for K1
> builders.
>
> The problem is due to the fact that you have not applied the ERRATA
> F-8
> that comes with K1 manual, rev. F of 01-24-2002:
>
> http://www.elecraft.com/manual/K1_Errata_Rev_F-8.pdf
>
> You MUST install a jumper at the location of RFC8 before voltage
> will be
> available as shown in the voltage checks on page 30.   Unfortunately,
> the manual DOES NOT tell you to install the jumper until PAGE 31!!!
> So
> obviously the checks on page 30 will fail.

Yes, I realized this shortly after I posted that.  I did post a follow
up mentioning that I was an idiot and had figured out that I had
ignored the errata note that I made on the top of the page!  Amazing
how I just didn't even see it when first following the instructions.
I guess I was so tuned into the printed manual's instructions that I
ignored my handwritten amendment.

I agree that a revised manual would be nice, and is warranted.  The
kit is so well designed and a pleasure to build that it seems a shame
to not have such errors from long ago not incorporated into a new
revision of the manual.  In any case the work to do the revision won't
bring any additional revenue, but it would give a final polish to the
kit overall.

I'm in the final alignment and testing phase, and hope to have the
radio 100% in a couple of days.  The 4th will be busy enough without
working on the radio... which reminds me...

Happy 4th of July to all the US members of this reflector, and any ex-
pats too!

Best,
Anthony, W6GC