From: Paul Christensen [mailto:w...@arrl.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 9:40 AM
To: Brett Howard
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 Turn on Pop(WAS K3 Audio)

> Hrm.  Oh well.  I do think that the audio section would benefit from a
> rejiggering of quite a few of those caps for more LF.

On the Rx side, there's not much left to consider after the DAC --at least
what I can see on the schematic.  The circuit path is pretty darn simple.
However, the cap fix we've been discussing is really only part of the cure
toward establishing a flat low-end receive response to 100 Hz or a bit
below.  I still see the same effect as measured by Alexander in his link
below:

http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=44172

There's additional low-end roll-off not attributed to the coupling C after
the DAC (again, based on what I see on the schematic).  So, the question is
"what is causing the remaining roll-off starting around 400 Hz?"  To
compensate for what Alexander and I are measuring, I need to boost the Rx EQ

Band 2 by about +10 dB to get something remotely close to flat between
100-200 Hz.  Also, I do not see where Band 1 (50Hz) changes the receive
audio response.  It's almost as if it's deactivated or something in the
analog and/or digital path is causing a sharp HP effect above 50Hz.  No
amount of cut or boost on Band 1 brings about change on my K3.

On the TX side, there are additional C values (or if you prefer, R values),
that can be scaled to your liking.  I've discussed some of those component
size changes on the N1EU website.  Also, I believe the newer main K3 DSP
Boards may now have re-scaled R values along parts of the affected Tx path.

Paul, W9AC