Burke,
You probably don't need to change the sidetone pitch.  If you like the
way it sounds when you're sending CW, then it's probably fine.
Just remember to tune the received signal so it sounds like the sidetone
pitch and you'll be OK when you crank the filter down to 1KHz or lower.
Below about 500Hz you'll notice some issues and will probably want to
use RIT, but you can leave that for a later day once you get the current
issue under control.
If you don't like the sidetone, tap the KX1 menu button and rotate the
VFO knob until it says StP.  Press and hold the menu button and it will
show the current sidetone pitch.  Rotate the VFO knob and listen to the
pitch you like; 600 Hz is a good starting point.  Then tap the Menu
button to exit.

You might like the one-page KX1 quick reference at
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX1%20quick%20ref.pdf
Leigh/WA5ZNU