I fully agree.  Even more to the point, can anyone explain to me why it is at
all important for a panadapter to be standalone, i.e., independent of a
computer for either display or function?

1.  Whether I am contesting or DXing or ragchewing, my computer is always
connected to my K3 for logging and other functions (digital modes, memory
buffers, etc).  Why would I want to add another user interface in the form of a
keyboard or mouse connected directly to the panadapter?

2.  I guarantee I would be able to upgrade my computer for function or storage
capacity more easily than I could the innards of a standalone panadapter.  The
more dedicated hardware in the panadapter, the more functionally stagnate it
becomes.

3.  External monitors with MUCH larger screens that would be practical for a
standalone panadapter are cheap, as are video cards with dual monitor ports.
What's the point of having a wide spectrum capability if the display scrunches
it down to VGA dimensions?

4.  Software that controlled the panadapter from the computer would almost
certainly integrate more easily into other software such as logging or rig
control programs, compared with firmware residing on the panadapter.

So ... why add cost and size in the form of panadapter hardware that can be
done better and more cheaply with hardware that already exists?  Are there that
many K3 owners out there that use their rig like an FT-101?

73,
Dave   AB7E