Julian, G4ILO wrote:
> I'd be happier with a computer-based solution if the software ONLY gave you
> the panoramic display. I want a standalone display that I can use alongside
> the software of my choice but although I certainly understand the reasoning
> of those who want one that will work without a PC I personally don't mind if
> it is a standalone application. I can always buy a second monitor to display
> it on if I want to. What I don't want or need is a whole screenful of
> PowerSDR which was designed to be the front end to a fully computer
> controlled radio not a "simple" panadapter.
I would find a "hybrid" solution more useful, ie. stand-alone or capable
of interfacing w/ a PC.  The current problem I run into now is that
there is no "practical" way to run two LP-PANs (specifically PowerSDR)
on one PC, one for each of two K3s.  I've tested doing so w/ one
instance of PowerSDR in a VMware container, but additional bandwidth
limitations (virtual sound device), delays, et.al. are less than
optimum.  With two stand-alone units, there wouldn't be a particular
PC-related limitation, but then "point-and-click" may be lost.  Though,
as I understand it, there were plans to use a "tuning" knob on the front
panel with push capability to jump to K3 to the freq. were the on-screen
marker is located.

The Elecraft panadapter could take a couple directions as far as PC
integration.  1) Provide I/Q outputs to interface w/ the PC's soundcard,
or 2) Have a built-in USB sound device (ie. similar to some Microham
devices).  The latter would certainly increase costs, but would
eliminate the need to go out and purchase a high-end card; maybe include
it as an add-on option in the same style as everything else in the K3 realm.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the product when it arrives.

Eric NO3M