> Back on April 15, 2009, Wayne asked for volunteers to field test a
> high speed CW firmware mod (up to 120 WPM with an external keyer.) Did
> that not make it into a beta release?  I've not paid attention since
> I'm far from taxing the built in keyer.

As I recall, that update primarily relates to PTT CW, where the XMIT
function is engaged for such devices as contest keyers.  When using PTT
keying, the K3 is capable of blistering fast CW.  OTOH, the K3 presently
hits a wall at roughly 45-50WPM in QSK and SEMI modes where element spacing
accuracy suffers.  I've confirmed N4LQ's observations.

Overall, I think K3 keying has improved with time.  CW rise/fall is now
about 2.5 ms and under the "OLD" QSK menu, the RF envelope starts ~ 13 ms
after key closure.  It's a bit longer under the "NEW" menu configuration and
a bit more "K" compensation is required with an external keyer in that mode.
The faster slope rise/fall was achieved without a perceptible increase in
keying bandwidth.  That was quite an accomplishment.

Paul, W9AC