Hi Drew,

Let's differentiate between an engineering concept and a manufacturing
design.

The engineering concept of these knobs is certainly reasonable.  For
example, when nested knobs nest properly, that's just fine.--they look good
and work as planned.  Great concept!

A design that is suitable for manufacturing is quite a different thing,
however.  Obviously, the goal is for the knobs to work properly not just on
your K3, but on ALL other K3's as well.

The design dimension tolerances must be specified in view of the
manufacturing precision which is available to implement the design concept.
Some of us think that a different design concept could be mass produced with
more precision so that all of the knobs work properly on all of the K3's.

I'm sure there are several who will be glad to hear that this is my last
comment on knobs--honest.

73,
Dan - W4TQ

ps:
The superb fit of the K3 chassis/enclosure parts demonstrates that there is
someone at Elecraft who thoroughly understands manufacturing design
tolerances.  Congratulations on a great job in that area of the mechanical
design.

I have K3 #1029. The nested knobs are perfectly concentric to my eye.
The Shift/Width knobs don't fall off and are not too short. None have
cracked in one year of almost daily service.

Perhaps there have been some incompatible production variations along
the way. I don't doubt you are having a problem but have to disagree
with your comments about design. The original design seems perfectly
adequate if #1029 is any indication.

73,
Drew
AF2Z