Hello Elecraft'ers
I have been trying to figure out a decent antenna that can be used indoors
with my K2(until I can get permission to install an antenna on the roof) to
use on the 3rd story of a 5 story 1828 apartment house in downtown St
Petersburg Russia. Being such an old brick building the walls are 1 meter
thick at their thinnest. The leakage from cable TV, DSL and electric trams
cause a high noise level and the poor antenna options make for weak signals.
I went to the woods this weekend and tried a new 40m dipole and heard a lot
more with the low noise level out there.
When I returned to the city I was more determined than ever to get something
up that was more effective than the 20m inside dipole I have been using.

I found a small plumbing shop open late and bought 4 meters of 1/2in copper
tubing and made a loop this evening. I had no high voltage capacitors so cut
various lengths of RG-58A to use as coax caps and kluged a Faraday shielded
loop coupling system to drive the main loop. None of it is permanent yet but
after only working on it for 30 minutes total, I have been amazed how well
it works with the low power version K2. Comparing the loop sitting vertical
in my living room the noise level is 10db lower than the indoor dipole and
signals are steadier and much easier to copy. The difference in fading depth
is dramatically improved. The bandwidth for 2:1 SWR on 20 is 80khz without
retuning the center of which is 1:1. I only set it up for 20 and 40 but
using fixed lengths of coax as the tuning capacitor but during my experiment
I found the loop worked on 80m also but with higher SWR. Obviously I need a
real variable cap which the electronics parts stores here don't have(all the
experimenters it seems were born in the digital age).
So back to the plumbing shop tomorrow for parts to make some piston caps.
I'll build the caps with 5kv or higher so if I get the 100watt K3 I'll be
ready. A big plus is being able to match the antenna directly bypassing the
KAT2 for higher efficiency. My built-in K2 tuner is more efficient than my
MFJ tuner even though the MFJ has some usefulness for use with balanced
lines and built-in dummy load.

Anyone else build small loops for use with their QRP rigs for a while? The
only down side I've seen is the need for more complex remote tuning and
narrow range before needing to retune. What has been your experience? What
am I missing, since the magnetic loop seems to solve so many problems for
antenna restricted stations why are they not talked about more often?

Stan
KM6XZ
St Petersburg Russia