Gary Hinson wrote:

> By the way, I don't know if it's the same with magnetic loops but the
> fullwave loops radiate mostly "broadside" to the plane of the loop.
> If the loop is vertically oriented (e.g hanging between two trees),
> the polarization of the signal is determined by whether the loop is
> fed at a horizontal or vertical section of wire.  If the entire loop
> is laid 'flat on its back', most of the radiation heats the ground,
> some heats the clouds but I'm uncertain what polarization the signal
> would be - probably horizontal I guess since all the wire is parallel
> to the ground but I may be wrong.

With magnetic loops most of the radiation is in the plane of the loop, and
it's vertical polarization if the loop is vertical. But there is not much
directivity. There are nulls axially through the centre of the loop but they
are extremely sharp. The polarization also changes to the horizontal as you
move round to the side too.

According to MFJ if you can get it up high enough you can mount their
magnetic loops horizontal and get omnidirectional horizontal polarization
with nulls straight up and down.

It's interesting switching between the magnetic loop and a dipole, sometimes
the dipole has the stronger signal and sometimes the loop. A receive
magnetic loop would make an inexpensive and easy to make antenna for
diversity reception for those who have the 2nd RX in their K3.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html