Mike Underhill G3LHZ had some good ideas but his ideas that the
theoretical loop equations were not valid were totally wrong. When I
was active on 136kHz some years ago I used a large vertical loop and
got reasonable results - in a QTH where I was severely restricted in
what I could use on those frequencies. At one time I more or less
proved to myself that the loop was performing pretty much how the
theory predicted and G3LHZ's suggestions that it should be 100 times
better (or whatever) were complete rubbish. You can find more
information on the 136kHz pages on my website, with calculations on
both the traditional loop equations and G3LHZ's (very old pages, not
updated for yonks, but for some reason still seem the most visited
pages on the whole site...).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com