John,

Thanks for your comments.  In general, it seems more people favor the
KX-1. I was thinking more about building a kit than I was what I would
ultimately use it for.  So being prodded by this question multiple
times, I concluded that clearly the portability is an issue and that
favors the KX-1.  So my order is placed and I now look forward to the
arrival of yet another white box.

73, Doug -- K0DXV