You know I even told myself about that parameter but then talked myself
out of thinking it was that because I was under the impression that that
feature was in play regardless of if AGC was on or off.

But you are correct that has fixed the issue.  Apologize for the
increased bandwidth for my ignorance.  Its 2:17AM here perhaps it is
time that I get some rest I'm a bit too rummy to be operating it seems!

~Brett (KC7OTG)