You might want to recheck this response. When operating split, the IF
response will have the split indicator set. It will return the current
frequency at the time the response was sent. If the radio was in
receive mode, it will indicate the receive frequency along with the
VFO which was active, and an indicator saying this was receive. It the
radio was transmitting, the frequency will be the transmit frequency
along with the appropriate indicators. If the radio is in split mode,
the two frequencies probably won't be the same, but will all the info
in the IF command, it should be very clear what is going on.

Logging programs usually just issue IF; commands unless they are given
a reason to issue separate FA; or FB; commands. It is very easy for a
program to miss the VFO B frequency for this reason. When IF response
indicates split being active, it gives the logging program a very good
reason to issue the separate FA and FB commands.

So, the IF response _does_ change from transmit to receive, and the
indicated frequency will change if the two VFOs are set to different
frequencies and the K3 is in split mode.

- Jack B, W6FB

On Aug 16, 2009, at 5:12 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Tom,
>
>> Is there any way to tell my logging software the frequency of VFOB?
>
> That's a question for the author of your software.  The K3 will
> indicate "split" (in the "IF" data) when transmitting on VFO B
> and receiving on VFO A.  The logging software should then record
> your transmit frequency from the response to the FB; (VFO B freq)
> poll and log the receive frequency from either the FA; (VFO A freq)
> or IF; (Operating Frequency).
>
> In Elecraft's CAT implementation, the frequency reported in the IF;
> data does not change between transmit and receive when in split
> mode.  I don't have access to a Kenwood rig for comparison.
>
> The fix lies entirely within your software.
>
> 73,
>
>   ... Joe, W4TV

-Jack Brindle, W6FB