Hi Paul

I think it will soon be impossible to buy any electronic apparatus built using
machine soldering that is NOT RoHS compliant.  That will cover all
manufacturing: amateur, professional, domestic, military.  The manufacture of
parts has swung that way and soldering baths have been re-filled with lead-free
solder.  Anything not lead-free must be made on a separate production line and
it will soon be uneconomic to run two lines in the same factory because the
parts will not be available.

I think you will have a tough time finding a manufacturer who can tell you they
do not use RoHS components.  Of course if they have stock left over, you have a
chance, but that can only be on older designs.  All new designs will use
RoHS-compliant parts.

Pretty much all of EU is now RoHS and we buy most of our parts from the East.
I don't know the situation in the US but I can't see them being able to make a
non-RoHS compliant product when the big eastern suppliers turn to RoHS
compliance.

I am intrigued to know what it is about the RoHS process that you don't like.

David
G3UNA