Brett, I think you are referring to the fact that many audio amplifiers have
an output impedance which is much lower than the load they are designed for,
with the result that a lower impedance load receives more power. This is not
the same as sensitivity, which is measured in sound pressure dB per
milliwatt. That  said, more power helps create more sound pressure, so in
practice you should be right in many cases. One person sent me a pm
recommending Creative (thanks!). They do list sensitivity on their web site:

http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=437&#subcat861

The Aurvana in-ear at $99 has one of the higher sensitivities I have seen at
115 dB. The impedance of  42 ohms is rather high, illustrating that high
sensitivity can come with high impedance, but o.t.o.h. the high impedance
might counteract the sensitivity so that it is not very loud with a KX1.
Hmmm... the LM386N in the KX1 is spec'd for an 8 ohm load. The actual output
impedance is not specified, but I would guess that it is much lower, which
means that the amplifier is a voltage source. Then with a load of 42 ohms
instead of 8 ohms, the electrical output power is reduced by about 7 dB. If
I instead look at the EP-220, which looks similar to my existing Optimus
earbuds, it is specified at 110 dB sensitivity and 16 ohms.
The impedance of 16 instead of 8 means a loss of electrical output power of
3 dB. 115-7 = 108 dB for the Aurvana, and 110-3 = 107 dB for the EP-220.
Thus, *IF* the EP-220 were identical to my Optimus, then I would gain 1 dB
by getting the Aurvana. However, I can't see paying the $99 for the Aurvana
unless I could try it for comfort first.

73,
Erik K7TV