http://www.rdmag.com/News/2009/08/Lightning-s-mirror-image,-but-much-bigger/

This article mentions an electrical field effect which can reach into the
ionosphere.  Maybe a good thunderstorm is enough to excite the ionosphere, at
least locally.  Since the excitation is from below instead of above, the lower
layers would absorb more than the solar excitation processes.  An interesting
experiment would be to test propagation along many paths on each band right
after a strong thunderstorm in one's area.  If the sun is not offering enough
energy in its current state maybe a good Midwestern thunderstorm could provide
an alternative excitation process we can use to enhance our chances of making
more distant contacts.
   Kevin.  KD5ONS