Lyle:

Just played with the NR in both SSB and CW, on 80 and 40.

First, I can hear the change of the filters now without turning things on
and off, as you mentioned it would work.  The frequency response is
decidedly less "flat" (less bassy) than the sound of 3.25.  For CW, the 3
and 4 settings are much more efficient, not so in SSB, where the 1 and 2
settings are much cleaner sounding and better copy.  I found that with no
antenna and with the RF gain turned to 12 o'clock... Turn on the NR and all
receiver white noise mutes and slowly ramps up.  That's a recursive effect,
I guess.

I prefer the sound of the 3.25 version for ssb, its cleaner and somewhat
less bright (flatter in response).  I had to tweak the RX EQ to add some
bass in the 3.27 version or it sounds "harsh" in my headsets (I dont use
speakers hardly ever, btw).  Inteligibility is marginally better with 3.27
on ssb and quite a bit better on CW, so you have drifted a bit to the CW
side of the equation, but with a decent compromise for SSB.

No more boingy peakyness in any mode, which is good, and the level while it
still drops a bit, is better behaved.

Can I assume from some comments I have read here that the NR process is pre
EQ and AGC?  How exactly do the processes "stack" in the radio architecture?

If NR is at the top of the stack, a decent "fix" might be to somehow gang
these three processes using presets so that they can be set up ahead of time
and recalled from a memory button by the user.

As an old brodcaster, we used to preset things in Switchers (vision mixers
to UK readers) using a process called E-MEM... Which could recall preset
parameters in "salvos" to preset multiple settings.  This might work here.

This would be handy in a contest environment where a minimum of tweaking and
rapid adaptation to changing conditions is needed... You could play outside
of a contest and create the settings then in the heat of battle, recall them
with a single button push from a "canned" setup.  It wouldnt be perfect for
any environment, but it might mean the difference between working a mult and
not working a mult.  And multipliers, after all, are.... :)

As you said, every receiving environment is different, but some
generalizations can be made and being able to recall the multiple settings
would be a definite plus feature of the radio.

Thanks for letting us test these iterations.

Lu Romero - W4LT
K3 # 3192